Subject: Re: [vserver] For a period of 2 months, the server file system has switched three times into the readonly mode
From: Bernd Petrovitsch <bernd@firmix.at>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:20:24 +0100

On Thu, 2009-10-29 at 11:05 +0100, KLEIN Stéphane wrote:
[...]
> I've a vserver installed on Debian Lenny.
>
> For a period of 2 months, the server file system has switched three
> times into the readonly mode.
>
> What do you think ?
The question is:; What do *You* think and *why*?
[...]
> # dmesg | grep "Shorewall" -v
`dmesg` has a quite small buffer and is usually worthless except you
call it immediately after the switch and it is not filled with other
junk (like iptables output or the like).
[...]
> Do you need other information ?
Look into the log files if the kernel writes about I/O errors on that
filesystem/disk. *If* the relevant kernel driver switches a filesystem
to "read-only", there should be some log entries.

	Bernd
          Embedded Linux Development and Services