Subject: Re: [vserver] more news on Debian support
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 07:31:20 +0200

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 05:33:04PM +0200, Diego Torres wrote:
> > Linux-VServer will continue for as long as the LXC project
> > (as it is called) doesn't reach the quality and feature
> > set Linux-VServer provides ... once that point is reached
> > the project will be reduced to util-vserver userspace
> > tools (or something else, if they get superceeded) and
> > no further kernel patch is necessary ...

> So, the LXC project will provide the same functionality as
> linux-vserver?

at some distant point in the future, yes :)

> As LXC seems a bit dead for what I can see in their webpage,

as I heard, debian is 'somewhat' focusing on LXC
and IBM was always behind that project, so I guess
there will be some development ...

> and I have little knowledge about what has happened recently
> to linux-vserver..

we finally got to the stabilization phase (see ML
archives) and are now on our way to the next stable
release for 2.6.31 and later ...

> are they sharing the same codebase/principles than linux-vserver?

different codebase, although the implementation of
the different namespaces resemble the Linux-VServer
code very much (e.g. uts)

> will they be compatible with current configurations of vserver?

rather unlikely, but even if the Linux-VServer kernel
patch completely disappears (in 2-3 years) the user-
space tools (util-vserver) should be able to map
existing configurations/features to the new kernel
interfaces ...

HTC,
Herbert

if you or your company use and like the Linux-VServer project,
why not consider donating hardware or money, or getting a
service contract with the developers to ensure that it will
live on and continue to provide high quality free software?