Subject: Re: [vserver] NFS remote file locking
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 19:59:57 +0200

On Fri, Oct 16, 2009 at 05:40:00PM +0000, Harald Weidner wrote:
> Hello,

> Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>:

> >> Some of my Linux-VServer containers which as NFS clients, mounting
> >> shares from different NFS servers (NetApp, EMC).

> >do they support locking?

> Yes, they support remote locking.

> >honestly, I do not see why it should not work inside
> >a guest, when it works on the host ...

> Maybe a missing capability?

> >you did test that it works on the host, didn't you?

> Yes, of course I did. On the host, locking works fine.

> Both inside and outside the container, access to the file is blocked
> when the file is locked by another process. But outside vserver, a
> blocked process is waked up immediately when the lock is withdrawn.
> Inside the container, the processes do not wake up immediately, but
> pause for minutes until they get the lock.

> >btw, what kernel/patch/util-vserver version?

> Sorry, I forgot to mention. The system is a Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.3
> i386 with all current security updates. The used packages are

> linux-image-2.6.26-2-vserver-686_2.6.26-19

unfortunately, that one is known to be broken, please
try with a 2.6.27.x kernel or a 2.6.31.x (preferably)

> util-vserver_0.30.216~r2772-6

too old for 2.6.26+ kernels, get a more recent pre

> vserver-debiantools_0.6.3

those are just messing things up, nobody needs them
(read: better remove and ignore)

> According to the kernel package changelog file, vserver patch version
> number is 2.2.0.5. Can this be verified from /proc or /sys?

nope, it is definitely a 2.3.x patch, but the exact
version got removed by the debian folks ...