Subject: Re: [vserver] NFS remote file locking
From: Harald Weidner <hweidner-lists@gmx.net>
Date: 16 Oct 2009 17:40:00 GMT

Hello,

Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>:

>> Some of my Linux-VServer containers which as NFS clients, mounting
>> shares from different NFS servers (NetApp, EMC).
>
>do they support locking?

Yes, they support remote locking.

>honestly, I do not see why it should not work inside
>a guest, when it works on the host ...

Maybe a missing capability?

>you did test that it works on the host, didn't you?

Yes, of course I did. On the host, locking works fine.

Both inside and outside the container, access to the file is blocked when
the file is locked by another process. But outside vserver, a blocked
process is waked up immediately when the lock is withdrawn. Inside the
container, the processes do not wake up immediately, but pause for minutes
until they get the lock.

>btw, what kernel/patch/util-vserver version?

Sorry, I forgot to mention. The system is a Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.3
i386 with all current security updates. The used packages are

linux-image-2.6.26-2-vserver-686_2.6.26-19
util-vserver_0.30.216~r2772-6
vserver-debiantools_0.6.3

According to the kernel package changelog file, vserver patch version number
is 2.2.0.5. Can this be verified from /proc or /sys?

Regards,
Harald