Subject: Re: [vserver] question regarding VServer ProcFS changes
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 10:08:56 +0200

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 11:14:12AM +0200, Oliver Paulus wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have made a new Kernel with the new VServer patch 2.2.0.4 (Kernel
> 2.6.22.9). I am using munin (http://munin.projects.linpro.no/) with
> a vserver plugin to monitor the vserver resources (process count,
> cpu jiffies, etc.) on the host.

(for the folks maintaining? the munin plugin)
it would be better to use the kernel interfaces to
gather guest information, because they are stable
compared to the proc interfaces (which are just
convenience for the user to get a quick overview)

> Now I had to update the munin plugin script because some information
> of /proc/virtual/*/cvirt is now located in /proc/virtual/*/nsproxy -
> e.g. NodeName.

this is mainly because mainline changed i.e. that
is not related to the Linux-VServer version, but
to the baseline kernel version ...

what changed is that the UTS namespace was merged
upstream (into mainline kernels) and of course,
Linux-VServer uses that (starting with a certain
kernel version)

> I used vserver 2.0.3 before.
> Is there a new description of the ProcFS available (like
> http://linux-vserver.org/ProcFS)?

this one will be updated (I hope :) but feel free
to ask around on the IRC channel and bring it up
to date yourself ...

> Is nsproxy something like obsolete?

nope, on the contrary, it is the name mainline uses
for a space aggregation, so it is 'the future' :)

HTC,