Subject: Re: [vserver] proftpd message
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:58:20 +0200

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 07:51:17AM +0200, Hervé Hénoch wrote:
> Hello,

> I have installed proftpd on a linux vserver and I have the following
> messages in syslog :

> vsftp rsyslogd: imklog: Cannot open proc file system, 1 - Operation not
> permitted.

that doesn't sound really proftp related, it looks to
me like you have a system logger installed, which
tries to open the kernel log interface (/proc/kmsg)
which isn't allowed inside a guest, unless you enable
the syslog virtualization. nevertheless, there will
be nothing to log from the kernel inside a guest, i.e.
even with that virtualization enabled, you won't get
a single message (it just makes stupid sysloggers happy
by allowing them to read nothing from that entry :)

> Sep 17 15:20:31 vsftp rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd"
> swVersion="3.18.6" x-pid="8379" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] restart

> My host : debian lenny 2.6.26-1-vserver-686
> My kernel : Linux 2.6.26-1-vserver-686
> No capabilities enabled

> Is it serious or just a warning ? Can this problem slow my server ?

not really, to cleanup, (re)configure your logger
to ignore kernel messages, and you should be fine
(if my assumption is actually correct)