Subject: Re: [vserver] Cant install vserver kernel
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:51:26 +0200

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 06:32:50PM +0200, Eli @ Networx wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a CentOS 5.3 64-bit box.
> I'm following the instructions over here:
> http://linux-vserver.org/Installation_on_CentOS to the letter.
> When I update the kernel I get version: kernel-2.6.22.19-vs2.3.0.34
> When I reboot, the system never comes back online. Since this is a
> dedicated server out in a DC I do not see what is on the console. All
> the technician tells me is that there was a kernel panic after an error
> mounting switchroot.

every dedicated server should have a serial console
(or at least an option for such a console) which should
allow you to trace the bootup ... once that bootup is
available, it shouldn't be hard to see what is missing,
usually it is some hardware driver or config entry

> /var/log/messages has nothing about this, /var/log/boot.log is empty,
> so that is all the error messages I have....

> Did anyone ever run into such an issue? I have been googling for the
> last couple hours yet cant find anything concrete.

yes, several times, always the serial console could
shed some light on it within seconds ...

HTH,
Herbert