Subject: Re: [vserver] Guest hostname overwrites the hostname of the host
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 20:38:40 +0200

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 03:53:20PM +0200, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
> Hello,

> I'm testing vanilla 2.6.30.5 kernel with patch-2.6.30.5-vs2.3.0.36.14-pre7
> and pax-linux-2.6.30.5-test23 and found the following:

> root@nssave:~# hostname
> nssave
> root@nssave:~# vserver template start
>  * Starting system log daemon...
>    ...done.
>  * Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server sshd
>    ...done.
>  * Starting Postfix Mail Transport Agent postfix
>    ...done.
>  * Starting periodic command scheduler crond
>    ...done.
>  * Starting web server lighttpd
>    ...done.
>  * Running local boot scripts (/etc/rc.local)
>    ...done.
> root@nssave:~# hostname
> template

> The guest hostname somehow overwrites the hostname of the host...

yes, this is, because your guest isolation is not
working properly, the uts namespace is only one
aspect you happen to see

> Is there a fix available for this strange bug?

yes, upgrade util-vserver to a recent version,
preferably the latest one, and the issue will go
away, alternatively you can downgrade util-vserver
to 0.30.212 or older and the isolation will work
too, but you'll lose some other features available
in your kernel ...

note: 0.30.215 will not work either, you need one
of the later 0.30.216-pre28xx snapshots

alternatively you can downgrade your kernel too
of course ... (e.g. to the strable branch)