Subject: Re: [vserver] Problem with lenny guest
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 14:23:27 +0200

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 12:39:40AM +0200, Jean-François Leroux wrote:
> Hi,

> when building a lenny guest inside a gentoo host, I get this, when
> starting the vserver :

> /etc/init.d/rc: line 74: /etc/default/rcS: No such file or directory
> error: '/etc/init.d/rc' exited outside the expected code flow.

IIRC, this is because debian changed something in the
packages/debootstrap process and thus older util-vserver
fail to install them properly

> This is with vserver 2.2.0.7 and the command is vserver $NAME build -m
> debootstrap --force --hostname $NAME.$DOMAIN --context $CONTEXT
> --interface $IFACE:$IP/$CIDR  -- -d lenny -- --arch i386 --verbose

> All variables are defined before, of course.

> 'tree /etc/rc*' inside the vs directory shows nothing, not a single
> service loaded. I have tried to link rc.local to rc3.d but with no
> success.

> Do you have an idea of what's going on? I used to create etch vservers
> without any problem...

well, try with a more recent util-vserver and maybe
(if you are on debian) deinstall/update the debootstrap
if the issue persists, debian might have changed again,
in which case, your best chance is to contact Daniel
or to investigate and fix it yourself ...