Subject: Re: [vserver] Disk limits problem?
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 00:08:16 +0200

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 11:23:28PM +0200, Tor Rune Skoglund wrote:
> 2009/9/10 Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>:
> > it is part of the stable implementation, so as soon as
> > we start with the next stable branch (mainly depends on
> > funding and contributions) we'll address that too ...

> Regarding funding and progress of the project in general,
> wouldn't it be an idea to make a "funding meter" on
> linux-vserver so that we could have an idea about how
> much is needed for each feature?

I'll think about it ... the problem is not a technical
here, it is more that we need to invest time in doing
an estimate (which might be simple for some features, but
quite hard for others) and we might end up with half
hearted solutions when the estimation was wrong ...

(something which happens too often in commercially driven
development teams, which I'd rather avoid if possible)

> I could probably invest a small amount, but as it is now,
> I (and probably many others) have no clue about
> the necessary amounts. Is it ?100 or ?100000 ????

to keep one Linux-VServer developer working for a week,
I'd say you can roughly calculate with 1500 USD, which
is below average for a senior software designer or
developer .. how much time a certain feature consumes
OTOH, depends on the feature, the testing required and
of course, how interesting the work is ...

sidenote: a rough estimate tells me that I must have
spent about 120 weeks of my private (unpaid) time
over the last eight years on Linux-VServer ... and I
still do not regret it! :)