Subject: Re: [vserver] /dev/fd/62: No such file or directory
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 20:26:24 +0200

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 07:36:33PM +0200, Jarry wrote:
> Hi,
> whenever I try to update&clean my vserver-guest (running Gentoo)
> I get these strange messages:

> # revdep-rebuild
> * Configuring search environment for revdep-rebuild
> /usr/bin/revdep-rebuild: line 520: /dev/fd/62: No such file or directory
> /usr/bin/revdep-rebuild: line 661: /dev/fd/62: No such file or directory

> I see I do not have any "/dev/fd/62" in my guests (actually, even no
> "/dev/fd").

which is your actual issue here :)

> But what is that device good for?

it is a filedescriptor, i.e. a handle to some input or
output source .. the most common ones are 0 aka stdin,
1 aka stdout and 2 stderr, but any process can, and
usually will have many more

> Can I enable it for guests?

it isn't disabled in any way, but, and here we come
back to the actual issue, your guest seems to have been
built without the proper symlink in /dev

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 2009-08-08 23:33 /dev/fd -> /proc/self/fd/

if you add that symlink, your script/tool will most
likely stop to complain :)