Subject: Re: [vserver] 3 basic questions
From: "John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 17:44:59 -0400

On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 15:25 -0600, Terry wrote:
> Hello. VServer appears to be exactly what I need. It sounds really
> cool.  I have a couple of questions:
>
> 1.  Is the VServer project still active and going forward? I certainly
> hope so!
>
> I ask because so much of what I have googled concerning VServer
> appears to be several years old, and
> the stable patched kernels seem to be like 3 years behind the event
> wave. And I would have expected a
> tremendous proliferation of this brilliant idea and be seeing massive
> growth! Meaning all the major
> distributions should have acquired patched kernels ready to go. Am I
> missing something? I am really
> excited about this VServer project.
>
> 2.  It sounds like to me that I can have an older version of a patched
> kernel for my host, and yet, still run
> newer versions of linux distributions in my virtual private severs
> (and those can be any mix of linux distributions) as
> long as both the host is 2.6 and my VPS's are of the same beginning
> 2.6 version number? (Like I am presently
> running Ubuntu 2.6.28-14-generic on my desktop.) Is this true?
>
> 3.  I am a novice concerning this whole area and really don't have a
> clue about what should be enabled in
> compiling a kernel. And I have noticed that some distributions have
> patched kernels that I could use if I
> used their distribution for my host. Could you tell me which linux
> distributions have the most modern
> linux release which also have a patched kernel for that distribution
> available to be downloaded and
> ready to go using their package managers? (-And even allow me to
> automatically get updates...?)
> (i.e. I am willing to switch distributions to get my host setup the
> easiest and simplest way possible,
> and hopefully within my technical ability to get the job done...)
>
> -Or maybe there is a more modern stable patched kernel that can be
> downloaded from some URL?
>
> I really need to implement this to continue with my project.  I really
> appreciate your expertise, your help,
> and suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Terry

It has worked very well for us.  The development team could certainly
use more volunteers and funding.  Regarding kernel versions, it seems
sometimes experimental means experimental and sometimes it doesn't :-).
Best to ask the list.  We are using 2.6.28 and 2.6.29 with vserver.  I
do not believe 2.6.30 is ready yet. This did require a custom kernel
compilation.  Hope this helps - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation