Subject: Re: [vserver] How to clone vserver?
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:13:20 +0200

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 04:37:37PM +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
> Good day,

> Could please tell me how or direct to documentation (NOT from
> linux-vserver.org) on how I can clone mine existing vserver
> (if it is secure and applicable).

> What I have: I have installed a vserver - as it shown at
> linux-vserver.org

> vserver vserver1 build \
>      -m debootstrap --context 42 \
>      --hostname vserver1.mydomain.com \
>      --interface eth0:192.168.1.10/24 \
>      -- -d lenny -m http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian

> But as the docs from there and mans are poor to me, I still have no
> idea what is the magical context 42, or what the 'unified files' for
> clone method, though

the 'magical' context 42 is an example, as you need to
have a unique context id for your guest (util-vserver
will choose a locally unique one if you omit it)

unification (nowadays mostly done via hashify) is
explained here:

http://linux-vserver.org/util-vserver:Vhashify
http://linux-vserver.org/Paper#Unification

if you have further questions, feel free to ask

> And the example failed for me:

> vserver vserver5 build -m clone --hostname vserver5.mydomain.com
> --interface eth0:192.168.1.14/24 -- --source /vservers/vserver4

> - as I have in Debian no  /vservers dir.

well, debian (and the derived ubuntu) are the only
distributions which insist in putting guests somewhere
else than /vservers, but all you need is to adjust the
path in the example (or even better, leave it out
completely) so the following should work for you too:

vserver vserver5 build -m clone --hostname vserver5.mydomain.com \
	--interface eth0:192.168.1.14/24 -- --source vserver4

> I would follow the right way (proper and secure) in building/cloning
> vservers with absolutely isolation the vservers one from another and
> from the host OS.

> Also, I have to have network access for every vserver.

you mean, you have a public IP for each Guest, I presume?

> I would appreciate if You point me to a good documentation, as I want
> to learn a lot of the wonderful technology - vservers, and for sure do
> not want to ask much here, have the good documentation.

http://linux-vserver.org (wiki)
and for specific questions not answered there, the IRC
channel (#vserver @ irc.oftc.net) or the mailinglist you
already found :)