Subject: Re: [vserver] vserver - event with virtual machine
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 18:39:59 +0200

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 02:20:02AM +0200, For@ll wrote:
> Hi,

> I have a very development server for my testing with vserver, on
> this server works a tree virtual machines and today I was install a
> fourth virtual machine (name a foo4). I forgot add a new adres to
> the nat server, and it's install not good, I try remove foo4 but
> I write a command like rm -rf /opt/virtual/, in this direcory I
> have all virtual machine /opt/virtual/foo,foo1,foo3 all machine was
> ruuning, when I try vserver foo1 enter, upps I can't login, I look
> in /opt/virtual/ and I see all machine but they are have only three
> directory dev,proc,initrd, the other direcotory was removed.

> Now I have question is any way in this case if somebody write a
> mistake command like rm -rf /path/where/i/have/machine the directory
> with a virtual machine can't removed?

there are various ways to protect 'new' users from
doing such things accidentially, like sudo an non-root
account, not using/allowing -f on certain commands, or
making the mounts read-only on the host ...

but in general, doing proper backups is the best way
to prevent making such an accident a catastrophy