Subject: Re: [vserver] Different MAC-Adress in a vserver
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 20:28:59 +0200

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 10:08:34PM +0200, Adrian Reyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> today I ran into a programm that seperates clients by mac-address. Now
> it happens all the clients are vservers and as such have interfaces
> like eth0:5. while it is no big deal to change the MAC of a single
> network interface this doesn't work for a virtual interface, it
> changes all interfaces on the physical interface instead.
> I know vserver does noch actually virtualize network interfaces, but I
> found /etc/vserver/<NAME>/interfaces/<ID>/{tap,tun} which makes me
> reconsider this. However, I have no idea to make real use of this, my
> attempts to use brctl to do a virtual bridge with eth0 and the
> tap-Interfaces failed so far. The host seemed to always announce the
> mac of eth0, despite the vserver had a tap1 with a different mac.
> All interfaces are on the same network.

note that the guest never 'has' an interface, the
guests only 'have' IPs, and those IPs are used to
send packets according to the 'normal' network
stack rules and mechanisms ...

> How do I get this right?

probably depends a lot on the program which does the
separation you mentioned above .. what we know is
that it must be something only relevant in a local
(i.e. immediate) environment, as the MAC is lost
after the first routing