Subject: Re: [vserver] strange util-vserver issues?
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 10:36:57 +0100

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:38:07AM +0100, Claus Herwig wrote:
> Hi,

> I have vservers running on some debian etch based amd64 machines, but
> with self compiled kernels. I use util-vserver package 0.30.212-1
> with kernels 2.6.20.18 or 2.6.22.19, and everything works as
> expected. I.e.
> vserver-stat prints
> CTX   PROC    VSZ    RSS  userTIME   sysTIME    UPTIME NAME
> 0       62 268.2M  24.5M  13h16m47   1h45m19  25d23h55 root server
> (... continued for the virtual machines)

> Now I built a new machine similar to the existing ones, but I thought
> I'd give debian lenny a try.
> So on this machine I got util-vserver 0.30.216~r2772-6 together with my
> own 2.6.22.19 kernel.

> First thing: The debian init script now tries to set barrier
> attributes on <vserverroot>/.pkg and <vserverroot>/.hash and complains
> if they don't exist. What are these dirs for? Till now I didn't have
> them in my vserver roots.

the first one is for externalized package management,
the second one for unification (the hash store), but
I doubt that setting barriers on them is a good thing(tm)

IMHO the barrier should only be set on the directory
directly above a guest root, i.e. /path/to/guest/..

(maybe daniel or micah can clarify?)

> Then: No more errors or something, but vserver-stat only prints
> CTX   PROC    VSZ    RSS  userTIME   sysTIME    UPTIME NAME

> No root context. I copied and tested an existing vserver directory.
> It starts and the vserver context shows up in vserver-stat, but
> still no root context.

as there (strictly speaking) is no root context, it was
dropped from vserver-stat to avoid confusion in the
future

> So I wonder, if I got a problem here.

no problem there ...

> Or did just util-vserver change its behaviour somehow?

yep, what appeared to be a root context (xid = 0) was
removed from vserver-stat, as it is neither a guest nor
a context per se

HTH,
Herbert