Subject: Re: [vserver] Request For Comments - VServer web presence http://test.songshu.org
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 02:35:24 +0100

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 01:43:42PM +0100, randall wrote:
> noticed a huge amount of mails on this subject this morning and
> its good to see many idea's, please allow to me to be the first to
> introduce a mockup, i did this in the last hour so its far from
> finished but at least its an idea.

> Lets see what we have already and try to keep it simple and make use
> of the right tools for each specific task, at the moment there is a
> great wiki with good content. Have used it myself once and its easy
> to contribute new content.

> wiki.linux-vserver.org

> maybe someone might be willing to give some thought on the layout of the
> data structure as it is displayed on the wiki frontpage only with up to
> date finished content to make sure a first arriver can more easily find
> what he (or she) is looking for.

> ====maybe also ====
> a simpler page
> <code>
> explaining the wiki syntax
> </code>

> forum.linux-vserver.org

> are we willing to support this??

I don't have a problem with a forum ...

combining the forum with the mailinglist would make it
a lot easier to follow and reply though ... i.e. the
best solution would be if the mailing list (including
archives) would exist as forum content and posting
something on the forum would show up on the mailing
list (maybe with special tags or on a special list)
too ... no idea if that is easy to do though :)

> the mailing list is great but many new users prefer a forum to ask for
> support and can browse the subjects without having to sign up first
> when investigating various visualization techniques, the benefit of an
> active forum is that it clearly indicates an active community and that
> would be a good sign. Also the most frequently asked questions would
> give us some clear idea on how to improve the documentation.

> a simple phpbb installation would be sufficient for this, i could set
> this up later.
>
> www.linux-vserver.org
>
> the front page of the project, i have setup a simple wordpress example
> on http://test.songshu.org (just set up the dns so be patient if it does
> not resolve at once) not finished and needs some more work to make it
> slick (have to go now for social obligations so will work on that tomorrow)

looks good to me, even with lynx, maybe some minor tweaks
like making the menu bar a little less high, and of course
really nice would be to add some aqua like effect to logo
as well as menu bar, I think :)

> maybe we can set up a colour scheme idea for all Vserver sites?
> maybe get some nice artwork to go where the flower images are
> right now or loose the headed images all together.
> (anybody creative for designing the image(s)?)

> the frontpage right know is reserved for "big" announcements, maybe a
> nice job for Bertl to do a bi-weekly or so update when import things
> happen

yep, can do that, at least it could be something like a
Linux-VServer Blog ...

 "nothing happened this week, so I ported 2.3.x to
  the lates release candidate ... what a mess, but
  see for yourself here ... "

> About
> some content from wikipedia right now but it should have some more
> simpler explanation, think of appealing to a CEO with nice pictures.

> Distro Support
> a list of all distro's that lead to a small page of that distro in
> wordpress explaining that "it is supported" or "don't worry its simple
> to patch" with a link to a distro specific landing page on the wiki
> giving some practical installation instructions for each of that
> distro's release.

basically we support _all_ distros, but yeah, pages
like those on the wiki (installing Linux-VServer on
debian/ubuntu/wossname are definitely useful, as long
as then end with the installation procedure)

> (maybe we can find some people making/updating these distro wiki
> pages)

IMHO a good idea would be to provide 'icons' on the
main (or at least on the installation page) for the
major or specifically nice/problematic distros, so
that e.g. the alpine fan recognizes her/his distro ...

hint: that could be work done by the distro maintainer(s)

> Vserver Hosting
> a page like this http://linux-vserver.org/VServer_Hosting , maybe
> linking to a page in wordpress for that specific hoster, for example,
> dreamhost might even be willing to pay for an "advertisement" page
> like that instead of donations as they mentioned earlier.

> as said before this was just an hour work so far from complete but its
> an idea.

nice job (looking at the current version)!
well done!