Subject: Re: [vserver] VServer Community; Was: Roadmap and Future ...
From: "Michael S. Zick" <mszick@morethan.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:57:31 -0600

 Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:57:31 -0600
On Sat February 28 2009, Benedikt Böhm wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:47:56AM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > > On Fri February 27 2009, Dallas Kashuba wrote:
> > > I think this site is still on a personal box in somebody's basement.
> > > I can not say that for sure, it may have changed a year or two ago.
> >
> > it is running on a machine maintained by Hollow
> > (details about the connection and hosting should
> > be available from him, for me, it just works :)
>
> the website, subversion, ftp archives and mailing list is currently
> hosted on a dual-core opteron 1218 with 4GB of ram, connected to an
> approx. 70GBit/s backbone in nürnberg, germany at www.hetzner.de
>
> there are far too many posts where this answer could be posted to, but i
> wanted to share my experience with our mediawiki and its migration from
> the old wiki a few years ago:
>
> it was a major PITA to migrate the content and i spent countless hours
> with boring copy&paste and adapting of wiki syntax, consolidating
> content, navigation and removing obsolete information, links etc.pp.
>
> so anyone who now posts mockups and ideas for fancy pr pages and similar
> should be aware that maintaing the website and overall appearance of
> vserver to the outside world is a daunting and most of the time boring
> task. don't get me wrong, i don't want to spoil the initial euphoria,
> but from my own experience i predict it to be a dead end.

Do you have any specific objection if this is limited to being
someone else's dead end?  ;)

Only by making the attempt will anyone know if my experience will
match that of yourself - -
Reliance here on projection is not a very reliable guide.

If any of this discussion has ruffled any feathers by implying that
what you have already done should be changed - well, I for one apologize.

Mike