Subject: Re: [vserver] Request For Comments - VServer web presence http://test.songshu.org
From: randall <randall@songshu.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 16:59:04 +0100

Ed W wrote:
> Hi
>

>> noticed a huge amount of mails on this subject this morning and its
>> good to see many idea's, please allow to  me to be the first to
>> introduce a mockup, i did this in the last hour so its far from
>> finished but at least its an idea.
>>

> Very nice - I like where you are going.
>
> Probably some pictures which should "isolated virtual servers" more than
> flowers would be good.  Now racking my brains for ideas...
>
> - boxes
> - russian dolls (toys which fit inside each other)
> - Jail bars
> - world in a box
> - penguin in a box...

russian dolls, jail bars?? you'd be amazed what you come across when you
turn off googles safe search.

alltough i do like the flowers , maybe we could use those from the great
flower page ;) sorry, they came with the theme, i just added an extra
image, i hope somebody here can pull out some amazing Gimp skills.

>> maybe someone might be willing to give some thought on the layout of
>> the data structure as it is displayed on the wiki frontpage only with
>> up to date finished content to make sure a first arriver can more
>> easily find what he (or she) is looking for.
>>

>> ====maybe also ====
>> a simpler page
>> <code>
>> explaining the wiki syntax
>> </code>
>>

> For my site I just ripped off a bunch of the media help pages and
> roughly strung them together.  I think it's either linked by default or
> easily linked to put the help in the edit page?

all the help pages are there, but indeed its to much explanation if you
just want to start something simple, i think must pages on the existing
wiki can be done with 3 or 4 uses of the wiki syntax so we need to
simplify it a little and cut out a few thousand examples.

>> forum.linux-vserver.org
>>
>> are we willing to support this??
>> the mailing list is great but many new users prefer a forum to ask for
>> support and can browse the subjects without having to sign up first
>> when investigating various visualization techniques, the benefit of an
>> active forum is that it clearly indicates an active community and that
>> would be a good sign. Also the most frequently asked questions would
>> give us some clear idea on how to improve the documentation.
>>

> This always gathers a heated debate...  It seems to depend a lot on when
> a person joined the web.
>
> Roughly speaking the debate is (in order):
>
> - NNTP news groups
> - IRC
> - Mailing lists
> - Web forums
>
> So for example I like nntp groups, but they are almost dead for the
> modern web 2.0 guy...
>
> Most technical people seem to gravitate to somewhere around IRC and
> mailing lists, usually these same people really dislike web forums
>
> Less technical users tend to favour forums and reject mailing lists as
> being unhelpful (I think the point is that mailing lists are great if
> you are more deeply involved in the project and forums are better for
> just "dipping in")
>
> A halfway house seems to be to add a google news archive.  This is close
> to being a web forum for many folks, but keeps email as is.
>
> I would suggest that perhaps this debate is premature since it will
> likely absorb a lot of energy and the end result is likely that at some
> point there will be a forum, but right now it will likely just fracture
> a fairly small userbase at a critical time?
>
> Ed W

its an idea, and i'm actually neutral to this , but i do must say that
for me personally (someone joing in after the year 2000) that mailing
lists did seem as some exotic thing from the past and you actually do
need to be deeply involved already before they are any use to you.
so it does sound like a "modern" good idea to me but only if you have
some of the more experienced willing to donate some time to this,
otherwise don't.

p.s.
nntp??? i truly never heard of that and i'm 31, shame on me ;)

--

www.songshu.org
Just another collection of nuts