Subject: Re: [vserver] Roadmap and Future ...
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 10:19:16 +0100

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 02:17:02PM +0100, ADNET Ghislain wrote:

> >the problem is the debian policy here, we have recent
> >and working packages in/for debian, but the debian
> >policy requires them to stick to the old and broken
> >ones, as long as the brokeness is not a major security
> >issue (and we do not have many of those :)

> this is a pain so,
> is there a repository where those ok packages are ?
> This could be a first step, adding a source list is something debian
> user know how to do.

> >we always work with package maintainers and they have
> >all support we can give them ...

> >we cannot do testing for them and we do not want to
> >do bug tracking for them, nevertheless we constantly
> >help in tracking down issues on their packages

> seems normal. I hope lenny improved things a bit there, i don't know if
> other distribs do better. Gentoo comes to mind as they are source based
> it should be the one on the cutting edge i presume.

> >yes, we have that information scattered all over the
> >wiki and I think I have to bite the bullet here and
> >write something like a reference and step-by-step
> >walkthrough ...

> Yes with twoparts, the "Official" docs and contributed doc. Would be
> quite cool if we could like in the php or mysql project put comments
> on the doc's pages. (not changing them but just exemples, use cases
> etc). I don't know but CMS out there should have this possibility i
> think.

> >>IRC channel is not seen by 80% of the people and this is where you
> >>find all the stuff ! but at the price of taking precious development
> >>time from you and Daniel :)

> >yes and no, one of the advantages of IRC is that you
> >can do it while working on something else (at least
> >I have no problem answering questions on IRC while
> >coding on something different)
> >further, the interaction on IRC is something which
> >I wouldn't want to miss, as it is a really good source
> >of information regarding problems, configurations and
> >feature requests in general

> oh yes IRC is great you solved so much issue answering my questions
> and i learned a lot reading answers to others as well. This is just
> that the majority of users will not go the IRC way as it is not
> "natural" for them ( at least it was not for me).

I actually think this is a real PR problem here, because
everybody just loves the live-online support you are
supposed to get from major hardware vendors for example

so maybe we should forget about IRC, stick a java IRC
applet on the site, add a note that 'somebody will be
with you shortly' and call it 'Live Assistance'?

I'm serious here, I think the proper marketing phrase
combined with a simple point and click solution might
drastically reduce the inhibition threshold

> >yep, thanks for your support!
> I have more reason to thanks you than you ever will have for the
> reverse ;).

> Vserver make my life so easy now as a sysadmin that i will be really a
> shame not to help anytime i can. Thanks for the great piece of code !

you are very welcome!