Subject: Re: [vserver] Call to arms
From: "Michael S. Zick" <mszick@morethan.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 19:08:38 -0600

On Fri February 27 2009, Ed W wrote:
> Hi
>
> > I offered to put up a complete CMS site, import the existing wiki
> > documentation into it, integrate the mailing list archive and the IRC
> > log archive.
> >

> Cool!  I don't know tikiwiki, but it sounds very complete
>
> When I last looked at tikiwiki a few years back though, it still had a
> fairly basic 1990s look to it.  Do we have some folks on the list who
> can style and theme things for better effect?

That is what I am doing at the moment. (For myself and maybe for others).

If the end result still looks too 20th century, we can pass it off as
"conservative", "stable" and "trustworthy" - -

Commercial users tend to be a conservative sort anyway.
(One of my hosting companies is running Linux 2.4.xx and the other
is running FreeBSD - they stand to lose too much blood if they
get too close to the "bleeding edge".)

The theme I want to start with does not have a place for the OpenID
login/registration form where I want it. ;)
Gotta edit up me some of that there CSS and Smarty template stuff.

The OpenID login/registration feature *was* broken in the current release,
and still is in the SVN repository - but I fixed that already (4+ days, typo'd
variable name, you just gotta love PHP).

I would post them the patch - but they are running the broken release on
there web-site and I couldn't register there either. ;)
They do have an open bug filed on the problem, it will get fixed RSN. ;)

> > If people prefer to just link to existing pages, on the non-integrated
> > server/site - it could be done that way also (the package has a "site
> > integrator").
> >

> Depends how easy the import process is...  If it's so simple that you
> already did a trial run and it looked promising then lets go for full
> integration.

The package has an "import Other Wiki button" - haven't pressed it yet.

Give me a few days to get the look and feel the way I want them before
trying to import a foreign wiki (I don't even know if that feature
works off of a database dump or the client images).
But will learn RSN.

> Otherwise I personally see most modern sites go for a
> hybrid approach with the "what do we do here" docs on the front page and
> something else for the forum and something else for the documentation
> site, etc, etc

Using an integrated package for all services makes "FreeTags" (keyword clouds)
work on *everything* - wiki, blogs, articles, forums, personal pages, etc, etc.

> >> With Herberts help I would really like to work on the Gentoo support a
> >> bit further?
> >>

> > ??
> > I have a 64bit Gentoo host with a 32bit Gentoo guest running, installed
> > recently - around the time of 2.6.27 patch set.
> > I can't recall any problems with installing either of them.
> >
> > Note: Gentoo recently switched to a new layout - which may explain the
> > difference in experiences.
> >

> Yep, I use baselayout2 now and very fine it is too!
>
> Does unification (? correct the word?) work for you ok?

I don't use it.
My only use for VServer is to run various packages on various distro's
for instance: used it to learn that typo3 only runs on 32bit, not 64bit.

> I also seem to remember some corner cases with the vxyz scripts, but
> they were obscure enough that I can't bring them to mind now.
>
> I also get a segfault if I resize the ssh window while using "vserver
> xyz enter" under a hardened kernel.  It's no doubt something very
> obvious but I have not had time to create a backtrace and figure out what

Haven't tried that - I only ssh into the virtual servers.

> So nothing major, just a few gremlins that should be easily smoothed out.
>
> I would definitely like to get unification going though, but would also
> like to not be the only one using it so if there are some subtle
> problems them someone else might spot them before I trash my live
> machines...

But a great use for a trouble shooting forum. ;)

Mike