Subject: Re: [vserver] Call to arms
From: Ed W <lists@wildgooses.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 00:24:23 +0000
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 00:24:23 +0000
Hi

> I offered to put up a complete CMS site, import the existing wiki
> documentation into it, integrate the mailing list archive and the IRC
> log archive.

Cool!  I don't know tikiwiki, but it sounds very complete

When I last looked at tikiwiki a few years back though, it still had a
fairly basic 1990s look to it.  Do we have some folks on the list who
can style and theme things for better effect?

> If people prefer to just link to existing pages, on the non-integrated
> server/site - it could be done that way also (the package has a "site
> integrator").

Depends how easy the import process is...  If it's so simple that you
already did a trial run and it looked promising then lets go for full
integration.  Otherwise I personally see most modern sites go for a
hybrid approach with the "what do we do here" docs on the front page and
something else for the forum and something else for the documentation
site, etc, etc

>> With Herberts help I would really like to work on the Gentoo support a
>> bit further?
>>

> ??
> I have a 64bit Gentoo host with a 32bit Gentoo guest running, installed
> recently - around the time of 2.6.27 patch set.
> I can't recall any problems with installing either of them.
>
> Note: Gentoo recently switched to a new layout - which may explain the
> difference in experiences.

Yep, I use baselayout2 now and very fine it is too!

Does unification (? correct the word?) work for you ok?

I also seem to remember some corner cases with the vxyz scripts, but
they were obscure enough that I can't bring them to mind now.

I also get a segfault if I resize the ssh window while using "vserver
xyz enter" under a hardened kernel.  It's no doubt something very
obvious but I have not had time to create a backtrace and figure out what

So nothing major, just a few gremlins that should be easily smoothed out.

I would definitely like to get unification going though, but would also
like to not be the only one using it so if there are some subtle
problems them someone else might spot them before I trash my live
machines...

Ed W