Subject: Re: [vserver] VServer Community; Was: Roadmap and Future ...
From: Ed W <lists@wildgooses.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 00:13:15 +0000
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 00:13:15 +0000

> That would certainly solve the problem of a repository going off-line
> when someone is depending on it. ;)
>
> Not mentioned by either of us - but for the members not familiar with
> the Dreamhost product - they have 'one click' installs for everything
> mentioned in the "wish list" items of this thread.

Cool - Herbert - lets take the dreamhost guys up on this.  A premium bit
of hosting and interest from the owners seems like a good deal!

> That would make any additions to community support "minimum effort".
>
> Too bad I don't know the system currently in use, I can't help with that.

You keep saying this in a way like it's hard to figure out how to use
mediawiki?  Given that the spec of the product is to be accessible to
tom dick and harry to build the worlds largest free bit of content,
built by normal users with few technical skills, then I hardly see that
this is likely to be a real barrier to entry to a man of your talents?

As an aside I have a small media wiki install for one of my projects.  I
can hardly claim to be an expert in administering it, but the install
process was all of 10 mins and figuring out the main stuff and putting
in a few plugins was largely straightforward.

Would it be possible to consider a hybrid approach which involves
changing as little as possible and trying to use maximum amounts of
contributed time and resources to advancing the actual content?  Which
is to say do you think you could supply a tool which does more the
"first impressions" content and might be separate from the current
documentation site?

I don't want to sound negative, but if my assertion is true then it
might take you only a few hours to figure out mediawiki to a pretty
decent depth, and possibly days/weeks of effort to port the existing
site to another engine?  Perhaps it's worth considering whether a split
site or just some time on the media wiki docs is a good start?
(Installation is basically a la most php apps.  If you have a mysql
installation hanging around then you will be up and running with a demo
site in 10 mins.  Happy to help out if you have questions?)

Ed W