Subject: Re: [vserver] Call to arms
From: Ed W <lists@wildgooses.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:44:08 +0000

> Some "experts" claim that the top 600 pixels of the home page are the
> only ones that "count" - who wants to click the "page down" button?

Yep, sounds fair.

Also only some of those pixels are hot.  I believe that you either want
to be number 1-2 on google, but position 3 (or whatever) is dead.  Then
the eye apparently gets drawn to something like position 4-5 + 8-9, so
the real pros don't position content to be read in an F shape where the
key content is top, left side or left middle ...

But your point is spot on - most people reading this list will live only
in the wiki - the front pages of the website are glossy and done in
whichever engine is easiest to do that.

> Not a significant *technical* issue in my mind - - the "which is best"
> in the CMS world now is like the "which is best" in the word processing
> world a decade ago - - more subjective than technical - they all "work".

I think they are all cr*p and hard to operate...  Roll on something that
works...

> I have to agree on that one also - at least it sounds reasonable to me.
> That was one of the reasons I limited my offer to "the one I know best".
> Too big an effort required to be running into many surprises with something else.

What was the extent of your offer though?  I think I misunderstand?

Right now it seems like the main documentation site is ok as it is.
What is needed is something in front of that which introduces vserver
and what it's about.  Could you help with this?

Also wikis really benefit from an intermittent, but consistent person
"gardening" them.  Do you think you could help out on that (I don't
think the engine matters for that kind of thing - just highlighting
flaws in articles, deleting spam, tweaking up spelling mistakes, it all
starts to help it snowball)?

With Herberts help I would really like to work on the Gentoo support a
bit further?

Ed W