Subject: Re: [vserver] Call to arms
From: Ed W <lists@wildgooses.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:10:25 +0000
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 23:10:25 +0000
Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>> 2) Website engine.  Anyone here got any experience of web engines which
>> can work as the "front of house" site?  Michael has offered TikiWiki
>>

> we changed from Tavi (a very simple but efficient wiki)
> to MediaWiki because it is supposed to do everything e.g.
> Wikipedia has and more, so please let us keep this one
> for now, I don't think that we need another Wiki to
> migrate to :)

You are missing the different between a fancy front few pages and the
documentation site.  Check out a few other sites and you will see that
quite a few take the easy option to use something like Joomla/Wordpress
for the fancy pants bits and mediawiki,etc for the documentation site.
Check out MythTv for an example of a site with good front page "buy in",
and a media wiki for the documentation site.

Personally don't care (I use a wiki engine for all of my main website),
but it does seem to be easier to use a blog style engine for the front
part of the website

(As an aside I think Mediawiki is excellent and rather like it.  I do
have another engine I prefer more, but it's all rather arbitrary, any
given wiki does roughly the same job)

So back to the original question - can anyone help with a fancy front
"first impressions" site (or set of pages on the current site) for vserver?

Ed W