Subject: Re: [vserver] upgrading guests from fc4 to fc6
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 16:22:06 +0200

On Sat, Sep 01, 2007 at 08:19:59PM -0700, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to upgrade some guests I have that were created as fc4 to fc6.  The steps
that I've been following is:

> - download fedora-release and fedora-release-notes
> - install them in guest:
>     vrpm v003 -- -U fedora-release-*
> - edit the guests pointer to the repository
>     cd /vservers/.pkg/v003/yum/etc
>     rm yum.repos.d
>     ln -s /usr/lib/util-vserver/distributions/fc6/yum.repos.d .
> - clean the cache
>     vyum v003 -- clean all
> - try to do the upgrade
>     vyum v003 -- update
>
> Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
> Error: Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo: core
>

> I tried running it with --debug, but didn't get any other
>  debugging info from the vnamespace command that runs the yum.
>
> Any help would be appreciated!

I'm sure Daniel will have more details shortly, but
you could try to internalize the package system in
a copy of your fc4 guest and simply do the 'normal'
fc4->fc5->fc6 update sequence (whatever that might
involve) inside the guest (ignoring all the bootloader
and similar stuff)

just an idea,
Herbert