Subject: Re: [vserver] VServer Community; Was: Roadmap and Future ...
From: "Michael S. Zick" <mszick@morethan.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:20:48 -0600

On Fri February 27 2009, you wrote:
> Hi
>
> > Both appearance, organization and content need help.
> >

> Yep, agreed
>
> Although with regards to appearance:
>
> - Front of site needs to be the most pretty.  People seem to forgive the
> "support" section being more technical
> - It may (or may not) be appropriate to use different tools for the
> support section to the front site.  Clearly fewer tools is desirable as
> a general rule
> - Appearance with a db driven site is usually largely independent of the
> tool and more down to building a theme
>

> > Let someone else, other than the two developers, do it for the project.
> > Details of such an offer in an earlier post.
> >

> Yep  - definitely agree - thanks for your offer!  I see your name a lot
> on the list so I am well aware that you give a lot to this project!
>
> > My point:
> > It is not the specific tool to be used; it is the specific offer of
> > getting it done without burden to current contributors.
> >

> OK, that bit I missed - I read it as something else.

I don't do that sort of work professionally - but this need for a
community focus point comes at a good time for myself. . .

I am configuring a CMS for my own sites - it is not that much
trouble to keep two versions of the configuration as I test my
way through the setup.

Which is the reason why I suggested using a CMS other than your
favorite - I offered the one under my finger tips.

The same with suggesting Dreamhost - they are a bit slow - but a
documentation site does not require super critical response times.
What might happen if it is a bit slow?  We lose paying customers? ;)

Again, the suggestion was not made on technical grounds - these tarballs
are going to land in my Dreamhost file space anyway - - making it
an easier offer to make for myself.

It all goes back to the "Leadership by example" belief - -
Better to put up a working infrastructure and show people how to make
use of it than to just say: "someone else should do it".

We still haven't heard from Herbert (or Dreamhost) on this topic -
So no telling what/when something will happen.
But my first tar-ball will turn into micro-windpower.com when I get
it ready to go public (it is a site reserved page now).

Mike