Subject: Re: [vserver] Roadmap and Future ...
From: Ed W <lists@wildgooses.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:09:25 +0000

Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> I'm all ears here, as I've probably lost the perspective
> what a 'new' user (administrative or technical background)
> needs to get started ...
>
> I'm actively using the wiki to answer questions on IRC,
> and for my taste, almost every information is right at
> hand (so it must be the perspective thing :)

We have struck the nail on the head here though.  It's called "user
testing" or some such thing when building e-commerce sites.

Basically you need to find some way to empathise with a new user and
imagine what they need to know.  Lead them through the core steps
initially and put all the detailed tasty stuff on the side isles where
they can find it later.

Actually the wiki is really good for documentation, in my opinion it
only lacks that "how to get started" section

A corrolary of this is probably that some of the vserver tools seem
broken in certain corner cases for certain flavours of linux.  eg was
someone saying that certain debian bits don't work correctly?
Personally I find that the unification stuff doesn't work out of the box
with gentoo and I ran out of time to fix this myself, etc

Will write more objective thoughts on "what to actually do" later

Ed W