Subject: Re: [vserver] Roadmap and Future ...
From: ADNET Ghislain <gadnet@aqueos.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:17:02 +0100
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 14:17:02 +0100

> the problem is the debian policy here, we have recent
> and working packages in/for debian, but the debian
> policy requires them to stick to the old and broken
> ones, as long as the brokeness is not a major security
> issue (and we do not have many of those :)

this is a pain so,
is there a repository where those ok packages are ?
This could be a first step, adding a source list is something debian
user know how to do.

> we always work with package maintainers and they have
> all support we can give them ...
>
> we cannot do testing for them and we do not want to
> do bug tracking for them, nevertheless we constantly
> help in tracking down issues on their packages

seems normal. I hope lenny improved things a bit there, i don't know if
other distribs do better. Gentoo comes to mind as they are source based
it should be the one on the cutting edge i presume.

> yes, we have that information scattered all over the
> wiki and I think I have to bite the bullet here and
> write something like a reference and step-by-step
> walkthrough ...

Yes with twoparts, the "Official" docs and contributed doc. Would be
quite cool if we could like in the php or mysql project put comments on
the doc's pages. (not changing them but just exemples, use cases etc). I
don't know but CMS out there should have this possibility i think.

>> IRC channel is not seen by 80% of the people and this is where you
>> find all the stuff ! but at the price of taking precious development
>> time from you and Daniel :)
>>

> yes and no, one of the advantages of IRC is that you
> can do it while working on something else (at least
> I have no problem answering questions on IRC while
> coding on something different)
> further, the interaction on IRC is something which
> I wouldn't want to miss, as it is a really good source
> of information regarding problems, configurations and
> feature requests in general

oh yes IRC is great you solved so much issue answering my questions and
i learned a lot reading answers to others as well. This is just that the
majority of users will not go the IRC way as it is not "natural" for
them ( at least it was not for me).

> yep, thanks for your support!
I have more reason to thanks you than you ever will have for the reverse ;).

 Vserver make my life so easy now as a sysadmin that i will be really a
shame not to help anytime i can. Thanks for the great piece of code !

--
Cordialement,
Ghislain.

["application/x-pkcs7-signature" not shown]