Subject: Re: [vserver] webfrontend (was Re: [vserver] Roadmap and Future ...)
From: Jon Bendtsen <jbendtsen@laerdal.dk>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:50:33 +0100

On 27/02/2009, at 13.41, ben@bristolwireless.net wrote:

> Quoting "Jon Bendtsen" <jbendtsen@laerdal.dk>:
>

>> I dont think it is needed, and at least not from the vserver project.
>> I see 2 kinds of people using linux-vserver, host managers and
>> guest managers.
>
> That's probably a good indication of current users, but by no means
> the limit of it's applicability.

We dont need to worry about normal users before we have vserver in the
mainline kernel.

> A friend recently asked how he could set up virtual server to run a
> dev machine that needed keeping on Debian Stable. I started to
> launch off on how vserver was by far the most efficient simplest
> method, then I realized, how was HE going to do that? He's not much
> of sysadmin, though has some CLI experience and does a lot of
> development work. In then end I said, use Virtual Box. He installed
> it, loved, and then had to recompile his kernel to get the
> networking sorted, which he wouldn't have had to do with Vserver.
> Vserver is a simple solution for lots of VPS task, and the wider the
> net is thrown the better IMHO.

If he just needs to do something, then point and click virtualisation
is just as good.
If, on the other hand, he needs TOP $ PERFORMANCE, then he needs vserver
and then he is willing to learn it.

> In short, many people would benefit from a GUI, just not you or I
> particularly.

I dont think so, they would still have to patch the kernel and
recompile.

vserver and the unix console is not user unfriendly, it is just very
picky with whom it wants to be friends.

JonB