Subject: webfrontend (was Re: [vserver] Roadmap and Future ...)
From: Jon Bendtsen <jbendtsen@laerdal.dk>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:25:31 +0100

I think the webfrontend deserves it's own thread, and then the money
could be another thread.

On 26/02/2009, at 18.56, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 01:42:21AM +0800, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at
>> > wrote:

[cuuuuuuuuuuut]

>>> I also plan to do a web frontend to control basic
>>> functionality
>>
>> nice, but... would this really be necessary?
>
> well, nothing really simple and general was developed
> over the last 7 years, and folks keep asking for a
> simple frontend to maintain a Linux-VServer setup

I dont think it is needed, and at least not from the vserver project.
I see 2 kinds of people using linux-vserver, host managers and guest
managers.

Host managers are capable people, systemadministrators who can surely
use SSH and the console. The console is much more powerfull.

The guest managers may be more or less capable, they may be
systemadministrators, and they may be somewhat technical interrested.

The guest managers buy a guest from someone, and this someone is a
Value Added Reseller (host manager). I think a common vserver web
interface would make very little difference between VARs.

>> as part of the project?
>
> maybe ...
>
>> (or could it be an external project, perhaps taken up by
>> somebody else?)
>
> definitely! volunteers are welcome as usual :)

I think it would be a waste of time if you, Herbert, did this
webfrontend. I think your time is much more valueable used for kernel
programming.