Subject: Re: [vserver] Roadmap and Future ...
From: ADNET Ghislain <gadnet@aqueos.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:17:15 +0100
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:17:15 +0100

>  - very hard to pick up from scratch

On my part i quite agree on this. There is not real explanation of what
tools are necessary, how to use them and what they do. Util-verserver
has tons of useful tools but they are not described anywhere. Also you
seems to allways say that the debian version is broken. This lead me to
sa simple thing. Would it be not a good investment to work with the
debian package leader and help him FIX things so we can just trim the
constant flood of issue comming from this one :)

I think that to ease the entry point you have to:

- work with package maintainers of the main distrib
(debian/gentoo/centos to have .deb/source and rpm version) to be sure
their kernel and utils package is of quality. I know this can be hard as
no distrib use the same kernel version but this should be done i think...

- List the tools and explain what they do (i created
http://linux-vserver.org/util-vserver:Cheatsheet because it was hard to
find info apart on IRC). the great flower pages is complete but lacks of
exemple case and do not say a word about the tools (like vmount etc..)
it is just a reference page for the config directory. For exemple what
do the service '/etc/init.d/util-vserver' ? what is a vshelper ? i
really don't know myself.

IRC channel is not seen by 80% of the people and this is where you find
all the stuff ! but at the price of taking precious development time
from you and Daniel :)

If the distrib packages works and the tools are described then 70% is
done to have new users hooked, the ones that needs custom kernels and
latest patches will come next but at least everyone can get it working
in no time imho.

Of course the website look is a little too 90's and it will make people
go away, i also think that adding a column on the frontpage showing the
date of the latest patch could help people see that the project is live
as well as a changelog for the experimental release ( beta could be a
better name experimental it looks like it can blow up at your face but i
use it and it is very stable :) ).

Well i will try to get the most docs about the utils i can on the wiki,
time to help you as much as we all can in our area of expertise.

For the support plan, AQUEOS allready helped the project with some money
because we beleive this project is a real beenfit to the community and
we would not be affraid of a 50€/month basic plan to help this project
to continue to shine. We are a very small company but we all should do
our part.

--
Cordialement,
Ghislain

["application/x-pkcs7-signature" not shown]