Subject: Re: [vserver] Roadmap and Future ...
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 01:35:10 +0100

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 05:07:06PM -0500, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-26 at 20:07 +0000, Ed W wrote:
> > Herbert Poetzl wrote:

[ zapped here, because I already responded in
 a different branch of this thread ]

> > Seriously - change the website to say:

> > "It's stable - version 1 of vserver released.  It slices,dices and
> > washes whiter than white"

> > Chuck and article on slashdot and watch half the world beat a path to
> > your door.

> > Market the product more! Vserver is a great project and deserves more
> > exposure!

> > Good luck

> > Ed W

> I believe Ed is giving some excellent guidance here.

> We are very impressed with the technology of the VServer project but
> it does not project a very professional ethos, sometimes comes across
> as a tad bit arrogant, and it's very hard to pick up the project from
> scratch.

okay, I would like to get into details here, especially
the following points:

 - does not project a very professional ethos
 - comes across as a tad bit arrogant
 - very hard to pick up from scratch

could you (all) please elaborate on them, as I do not
fully understand why that would be so ...

> All of that can be a sign of overload on a small core of developers
> so I quite understand.

well, currently (not counting the distribution maintainers)
we are basically down to two here, so definitely a lot of
work for a very small group of people

> On the other hand, I have found the developers unbelievably
> supportive - I can't say enough good in that area.

> However, appearance and ease of entry are important to attract
> new users and contributors.

again, what _is_ the ease of entry issue?

> If it were not for the outstanding technology, I certainly would
> have gone elsewhere and never known about the great support.

I'm not sure it is the best idea to put something like
"Oh, and by the way, we have good coffee in the IRC channel"
on the main page, I think good support should be communicated
(and actually is communicated) by the user/adminstrator

> We are planning to build a large part of our new business on
> VServer and would be very happy to contribute as soon as we
> build our revenue stream.

and here is it down to the point (the real chicken egg
problem, IMHO), without constant contributions, there
are two ways to go (for the developers), work on something
which actually gets payed or focus on selling a product.

In any case, you, the 'customer' will not get the high
quality, high performance technology you are using (or
planning to use) right now ...

> This is far too great a project to let die! Thanks for all
> you've done, all you VServites!

you're welcome!

TIA,