Subject: Re: [vserver] Roadmap and Future ...
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 18:56:28 +0100

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 01:42:21AM +0800, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Linux-VServer Community!
> >
> > Every now and then I get asked what the Roadmap for
> > Linux-VServer is and what Features or Changes can be
> > expected in the near (and far) future, so I decided
> > to share my thoughts with you on the ML.
> >
> > (note that they are not just Roadmap related :)
> >
> > First, Linux-VServer is not dead! :)
> >
> > <snip>

> > I think what we need most in the near future is a
> > new, well tested stable release, which can be adopted
> > by distributions and which will be maintained for
> > a reasonable amount of time, and that's actually what
> > I'm working on whenever time permits.

> i'm guessing the "new" bit is the thing that's missing?
> (rather than "well tested stable release")

yes, focus is on kernels like 2.6.27 or later

> > New features will mainly include adaptations of 'old'
> > features, lost and forgotten over time, and improve-
> > ments on the mainline integration (like cgroups and
> > such), as well as some virtualizations to simplify
> > handling and make it more guest friendly.

> I hope these new virtualizations will not take away the edge of
> vserver? What virtualizations do you have in mind?

nope, definitely not, all virtualization we do
is either in completely uncritical pathes or
so simple that the overhead is unmeasureable

the main part is and always will be done by
high performance isolation

> > I also plan to do a web frontend to control basic
> > functionality
>
> nice, but... would this really be necessary?

well, nothing really simple and general was developed
over the last 7 years, and folks keep asking for a
simple frontend to maintain a Linux-VServer setup

> as part of the project?

maybe ...

> (or could it be an external project, perhaps taken up by
> somebody else?)

definitely! volunteers are welcome as usual :)

> > Finally, as usual, input here is welcome, so if you
> > have an isolation feature you want to see really soon,
> > or further questions, please let me know.

> :) you planning to virtualize "localhost" within a vserver?

was done some time ago via isolation, i.e.
recent kernels (vs2.3.x) provide that in a way
which is almost undetectable and completely
natural for guests distros