Subject: Re: [vserver] Vserver and LVS (DR)
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 13:06:21 +0100

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 04:46:56PM +0900, Christian Balzer wrote:

> Hello,
>
> has anybody successfully used LVS (in DR mode) with vserver guests as
> realservers? Read, a separate LVS box/cluster and vservers as targets.
> I'm mostly wondering if the needed ARP sysctl changes will work aka:

has worked to some extend on the same host, is supposed
to work on a separate machine (i.e. I see no real problem
there, but you need to handle some things a little different
I presume)

> ---
>  net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore = 1
> net.ipv4.conf.eth0.arp_ignore = 1
> net.ipv4.conf.eth1.arp_ignore = 1
> net.ipv4.conf.eth2.arp_ignore = 1
>
> net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce = 2
> net.ipv4.conf.eth0.arp_announce = 2
> net.ipv4.conf.eth1.arp_announce = 2
> net.ipv4.conf.eth2.arp_announce = 2
> ---
> And if these settings will work _inside_ the guest or need to be
> applied on the host to actually have the desired effect.

network related settings have to be applied on the host,
but they will work for the guests too, note that the
changes probably do not make much sense with a single
host (with several guests), but probably LVS in DR mode
doesn't make too much sense with a single target machine
either (except for testing and the fun of doing it :)

> I should have some test hardware to actually try this in a month or 2,
> but any thumps up or down would be very much appreciated in advance of
> course.

excellent, keep us posted (or visit us on IRC)