Subject: Re: [vserver] Unable to add Interface / RTNETLINK answers: Numerical result out of range
From: Oliver Welter <mail@oliwel.de>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 11:23:37 +0100

Hi Herbert

Herbert Poetzl schrieb:

> The Host has two vlan's over the physical interface eth0:
> vlan3 82.135.58.0/25
> vlan4 212.18.24.192/26
>
> one IP of each vlan is assigned to the host, several guests use IPs from
> both vlans.
>
> The guest is setup with following interface configuration, interfaces
> are numbered 3x on vlan3 and 4x on vlan4
>
> 30/*
> dev: vlan3
>>        ~~~~~ 5 chars
> ip: 82.135.58.36
> name: www1_customer1
>> 	~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 14 chars
> prefix: 25
>
>> maximum length for network interface (and alias) names
>> is 15 chars (e.g. eth0:123456789a), so you end up using
>> the very same name more more than one of your guests :)
>
>> I'd suggest to drop the alias names completely, unless
>> you have a good reason for them, in which case, you should
>> make them unique within the 15 chars.

I knew about the 15 chars but didnt knew that the interface name is
included into the limit :(
So shortening the names seems to work.

What do you mean with "drop completely"? Removing the "names" file from
the interface directories?

Oliver
- --
Protect your environment -  close windows and adopt a penguin!
PGP-Key: 3B2C 8095 A7DF 8BB5 2CFF  8168 CAB7 B0DD 3985 1721