Subject: Re: [vserver] Unable to add Interface / RTNETLINK answers: Numerical result out of range
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 09:14:45 +0100

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 01:17:10PM +0100, Oliver Welter wrote:

> Herbert Poetzl schrieb:

> > Simply using the "ip" command:  ip addr add <IP>/<Maskbits> dev vlan3
> >
> >> guest config (specifically the interfaces section)
> >> and a description of the network setup on the host
>
> The Host has two vlan's over the physical interface eth0:
> vlan3 82.135.58.0/25
> vlan4 212.18.24.192/26
>
> one IP of each vlan is assigned to the host, several guests use IPs from
> both vlans.
>
> The guest is setup with following interface configuration, interfaces
> are numbered 3x on vlan3 and 4x on vlan4
>
> 30/*
> dev: vlan3
       ~~~~~ 5 chars
> prefix: 25

maximum length for network interface (and alias) names
is 15 chars (e.g. eth0:123456789a), so you end up using
the very same name more more than one of your guests :)

I'd suggest to drop the alias names completely, unless
you have a good reason for them, in which case, you should
make them unique within the 15 chars.

HTH,
Herbert