Subject: Re: [vserver] recommended way of maintaining or doing 'apt-get upgrade' in a guest?
From: Corey Wright <undefined@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 02:43:15 -0600

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:49:42 +0800
"Jeffrey 'jf' Lim" <jfs.world@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Corey Wright <undefined@pobox.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 01:39:26 +0800
> > "Jeffrey 'jf' Lim" <jfs.world@gmail.com> wrote:

> > unless there's a "/etc/vservers/.distributions/hardy/initpost" or
> > "/usr/lib/util-vserver/distributions/hardy/initpost" (or whatever the
> > equivalent paths are for your source install) that removes unneeded
> > initscripts (like /usr/lib/util-vserver/distributions/debian/initpost,
> > lines 125-139), then you'll have similar noise on guest startup or
> > shutdown.  and even then after some packages upgrade you have to
> > manually clean up their reenabling of the init scripts (or extract what
> > the inipost script does into a separate script).
> >
> >> While I reckon that these aren't critical errors, is there some sort
> >> of "recommended way" for upgrading the files in a guest?
> >
> > either "vapt-get <vservers> -- (update|upgrade|dist-upgrade)" or
> > "vserver <vserver> exec apt-get (update|upgrade|dist-upgrade)".
> >

> is there any real difference (save for being able to do it for
> multiple vservers) between 'vapt-get' and 'apt-get' in the guest?

not that i know of.

currently i have a script that i run from the host's cron that updates each
guest's apt lists (ie apt-get update) and primes the caching proxy with any
new package versions (ie apt-get dist-upgrade --download-only), but i'm
thinking about migrating to apticron.  when i'm upgrading the same package
on multiple guests (like the recent login & passwd packages) i use vapt-get
(eg "vapt-get --all -- dist-upgrade" or "vapt-get <vserver1> <vserverN> --
install login passwd").

> (I
> guessing that initpost is probably one of the reasons)

"/etc/vservers/.distributions/<release>/initpost" and/or
"/usr/lib/util-vserver/distributions/<release>/initpost" initpost only has
to do with running "vserver <vserver> build -m debootstrap -- -d
<release>".  initpost is ran by the vserver command after it runs
debootstrap.  initpost has nothing to do with apt-get.

sorry if i previously confused you, but i only mentioned initpost
before because it helps reduce noise on startup, noise like you saw when
upgrading procps using apt.

> In which case,
> is there any doc that talks more about vapt-get? man and 'vapt-get
> --help' doesnt offer much in the way of help. Neither does the great
> flower page.

not that i know of.

corey
--