Subject: Re: [vserver] Guest root passwords
From: "John A. Sullivan III" <jsullivan@opensourcedevel.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:10:29 -0500

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 01:36 +0800, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 1:11 AM, John A. Sullivan III
> <jsullivan@opensourcedevel.com> wrote:
> > It appears not setting it disables root access other than via the host
> > but this is only our casual observation.  What really happens if we do
> > not set the root password upon guest creation? Thanks - John
>
> I'm not too sure how you would use pwconv to "not set" a password
> (dont really use pwconv!), but if I get you correctly, the result
> would be the same as per normal systems, basically. No root login.
> Don't forget 'sudo su', though ;)
<snip>
Sorry - somewhat unrelated.  I assume pwconv takes the existing passwd
file and shadow enables it.

We were guessing there is no root access via login if we did not set it
but just wanted to make sure it did not default to something and we were
just not aware of it.  Thanks - John
--
John A. Sullivan III
Open Source Development Corporation