Subject: Re: [vserver] one-liner /etc/apt/sources.list in guest?
From: Corey Wright <undefined@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 01:53:54 -0600

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:13:25 +0800
"Jeffrey 'jf' Lim" <jfs.world@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:18 AM, Corey Wright <undefined@pobox.com> wrote:
> > now maybe if you are installing multiple similar guests, then it would
> > be beneficial to configure a reasonable set of defaults in a
> > configuration file.  for debian guests using the debian util-vserver
> > package, that should be
> > in /usr/lib/util-vserver/distributions/debian/initpost (and, yeah,
> > that's definitely not a configuration file).
>
> is there some doc somewhere that gives more info about this? i've been
> mainly relying on man (not much for some of the tools!) and the wiki.
> Havent come across this piece of info before.

the only docs i use are (in order of frequency): my personal wiki,
google, the linux-vserver wiki, "vserver <whatever> <command> --help"
and "the great flower page".

> Now for another question (now that I've discovered this):
> what's the difference in purpose between these 2 locations -
> /usr/local/lib/util-vserver/distributions, and
> /usr/local/etc/vserver/.distributions ?

for this, it appears the great flower page (literally, google "the great
flower page" and it should be the first hit) has what you want (ie
"/etc/vservers/.distributions/<dist>/apt").  i learn something every day.
let me know if it works for you.

> >  but editing
> > sources.list hasn't wasted enough of my time for me to research setting
> > saner defaults.
> >
> > and i don't use vserver-debiantools, but maybe it does a better job
> > creating debian/ubuntu guests.
> >

> any reason why not? What do you use/do instead?

when i first started using linux-vserver 3 years ago, rumor was
vserver-debiantools was buggy, so i learned to use util-vserver directly
instead.  util-vserver has always worked efficiently enough that i've never
felt the need to use the vserver-debiantools.

and instead of vserver-debiantools i use util-vserver and nano.

corey
--
undefined@pobox.com