Subject: Re: [vserver] one-liner /etc/apt/sources.list in guest?
From: "Corey Wright" <undefined@pobox.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 14:18:11 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, January 26, 2009 11:49 am, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 00:51 +0800, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:
>> hi guys, this may sound weird, but is there like a recommended
>> "sources.list" for an ubuntu hardy guest? (would it be the same as a
>> normal hardy system?)

> We set our hardy guests to:
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy main restricted universe
> multiverse
>
> deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-updates main restricted
> universe multiverse
>
> deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security main restricted
> universe multiverse
>
> deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ hardy partner
>
> deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ hardy free non-free

i second this, but without "restricted" and "partner" (sorry, i'm a purist
;-).

and don't forget to use a caching/mirroring/saving proxy.  i recently gave
up on apt-cache and went with the more generic http-replicator.  a proxy
accelerates guest installs, security updates, and even "apt-get update".
it's also beneficial for rolling back to a previous package version on
debian unstable/testing (as the old version has probably been removed from
the archive and using snapshot.debian.net can be a pain).

>> I've followed the instructions as per wiki
>> (http://linux-vserver.org/Installing_Ubuntu_Hoary_as_guest) to set up
>> a hardy guest, and ended up with a one-liner /etc/apt/sources.list -
>> which has apparently given me some problems with regards to installing
>> stuff in the guest (like 'E: Couldn't find package blabla'). Is
>> editting sources.list the way to go after you build a guest?

yes.

i always expect to tweak sources.list after a new install because i don't
expect the installer to know what i want (repositories) and from where
(mirrors); either to remove "restricted", add "medibuntu", or add my
personal repository.

now maybe if you are installing multiple similar guests, then it would be
beneficial to configure a reasonable set of defaults in a configuration
file.  for debian guests using the debian util-vserver package, that
should be in /usr/lib/util-vserver/distributions/debian/initpost (and,
yeah, that's definitely not a configuration file).  but editing
sources.list hasn't wasted enough of my time for me to research setting
saner defaults.

and i don't use vserver-debiantools, but maybe it does a better job
creating debian/ubuntu guests.

corey
--
undefined@pobox.com