Subject: Re: [vserver] remapping localhost?
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 02:17:15 +0200

On Mon, Aug 27, 2007 at 01:47:12PM -0400, Chuck wrote:
> i have seen the option in the kernel and always had it checked
> but never bothered to use it until now. i have trouble finding
> documentation on this. how can i use 127.0.0.1 locally in a guest?

for some time now, _using_ 127.0.0.1 inside a guest
is no problem at all, it will get remapped to the
first assigned ip, which then will be handled as usual

> any caveats with the host?
>
> i have a program that is badly coded that insists on using the
> localhost address instead of getting it from the hosts file and the
> source is not available.

for this case, which requires a more _consistent_
mapping between 127.0.0.1 and a guest specific IP,
we added the lback remap and hiding features to recent
devel kernels (2.3.0.17+), which basically makes the
mapping undetectable for guest processes ...

HTC,
Herbert