Subject: Re: [vserver] [Q] HOWTO copy /etc/vserver
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 12:17:21 +0100

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:43:06AM -0800, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> I have an odd (hardware-wise) system this is giving me problems.
>
> The main OS is on an IDE drive and /vservers is on a LVM built of SATA
> drives.
>
> The IDE drive is having some problems.  I'm going to replace it.
>
> Most of the guests (the important ones anyway) are still accessible via
> ssh but the host isn't.  I will have to go to the colo to access the host.
>
> What I'd like to do is make a copy of the /etc/vservers directory,

/etc/vservers is (except for a few symlinks) completely
static, so no worries there, just copy it over to a
backup/new machine and do not worry, as long as the
configuration (guest pathes, etc) is the same on both
hosts, you should be perfectly fine, and even with
different pathes, the symlinks should match the guest
(otherwise you have to adjust them)

> possibly while the guests are running.  Since there several links
> created when a guest is started I have concerns about just doing a
> tarball of the directory.
>
> Any suggestions, thoughts, or ideas on this?

HTH,
Herbert