Subject: Re: [vserver] call method of host in guest os
From: "Michael S. Zick" <mszick@morethan.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 14:07:50 -0600

On Sun December 21 2008, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> On Sat December 20 2008, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> > On Thu December 18 2008, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> > >
> > > You would probably be better off with tipc:
> > > http://tipc.sourceforge.net
> > >

> > Well, I mentioned it, and it is a slow weekend - - -
> > Besides, haven't done anything with tipc in nearly 3 decades ;)
> >
> > = = = =
> >
> > Hardware: C2Q (Q9300) @ 2.5Ghz (probably typical of a server)
> > Host: 64bit-Gentoo, 2.6.27.10-vs2.3.0.36.2 + tipc-1.7.6 + tipc_utils-1.1.8
> > Guest: 32bit-Gentoo-i686
> > Network: dummy0
> >
> > = = = =
> >
> > The good: The tipc sources do not conflict with the vserver patch.
> > Just overwrite net/tipc with the project's tarball for .27
> > (The kernel main-stream isn't even close to current.)
> >
> > The bad: The tipc sources are probably not context aware.
> > I don't think that really makes a difference in this case, could be wrong.
> >

> I was wrong - this protocol needs to become context aware for anything
> other than the simplest of uses.
>
> What you see happening (if you give it a try) is its ability to find the
> closest node that can satisfy the request - even if it is talking to itself. ;)
> (Which is by design, it is supposed to work that way unless directed otherwise).
> It only becomes obvious when you enable remote management - there isn't a "remote".
;)

> Will give the main-stream code a few tests - see if it is complete enough
> to even consider using. (and patching to be multiple-context aware)

Yup - mainstream code is working - although not the same feature set as the project
code.

The bad: you can't set a node address per guest (to use the system as it was intended)
The good(?): any code (host or guest) with access to the kernel socket API can use it.
The puzzle: the userland configuration tool is capabilities limited - because it uses
the netlink access API (mostly) rather than the socket API.

The ugly: this isn't any "patch" it is a re-write - - -
The system is built out of a large collection of globals which need to be moved into
a structure and then have a structure per context - then guests could be "independent"
computational nodes, exactly like the system was intended to work. (says one of the
intendees).

Phooey.