Subject: Re: [vserver] call method of host in guest os
From: "Michael S. Zick" <mszick@morethan.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 11:55:37 -0600

On Sat December 20 2008, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> On Thu December 18 2008, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> >
> > You would probably be better off with tipc:
> > http://tipc.sourceforge.net
> >

> Well, I mentioned it, and it is a slow weekend - - -
> Besides, haven't done anything with tipc in nearly 3 decades ;)
>
> = = = =
>
> Hardware: C2Q (Q9300) @ 2.5Ghz (probably typical of a server)
> Host: 64bit-Gentoo, 2.6.27.10-vs2.3.0.36.2 + tipc-1.7.6 + tipc_utils-1.1.8
> Guest: 32bit-Gentoo-i686
> Network: dummy0
>
> = = = =
>
> The good: The tipc sources do not conflict with the vserver patch.
> Just overwrite net/tipc with the project's tarball for .27
> (The kernel main-stream isn't even close to current.)
>
> The bad: The tipc sources are probably not context aware.
> I don't think that really makes a difference in this case, could be wrong.

I was wrong - this protocol needs to become context aware for anything
other than the simplest of uses.

What you see happening (if you give it a try) is its ability to find the
closest node that can satisfy the request - even if it is talking to itself. ;)
(Which is by design, it is supposed to work that way unless directed otherwise).
It only becomes obvious when you enable remote management - there isn't a "remote".
;)

Will give the main-stream code a few tests - see if it is complete enough
to even consider using. (and patching to be multiple-context aware)

Mike