Subject: Re: [vserver] vserver on OpenSuse with Kernel 2.6.25.5.1-1
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 20:27:54 +0100

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 06:36:19PM -0700, David Vanfleet wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have installed OpenSuse 11.0 to use as my vserver host. The
> installed Kernel for OpenSuse 11.0 is 2.6.25.5.1-1, but I'm noticing
> that the supported Kernel for vserver vs2.2.0.7 is 2.6.22.19. So I'm
> not sure what to do, can I install a previous Kernel version on this
> OpenSuse server (going from 2.6.25 back to 2.6.22)? My other option
> would be to integrate the vs2.2.0.7 patch into version 2.6.25. What
> would be the best way to get vserver patch compiled into this openSuse
> Kernel.

there are experimental patches for 2.6.27.8 available
(and also older for older kernels, of course), so the
choice is yours ...

> My other option would be to find a kernel package for openSuse 11.0
> that includes vserver, but I'm not aware of any. Any help here would
> be appreciated.

you probably have to build one, but IMHO it is better
to build the kernel yourself anyway (so that you can
disable all the unnecessary junk a distro enables by
default :)

HTH,
Herbert