Subject: odd network problem
From: Chuck <chuck@sbbsnet.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:03:42 -0500

i stopped and restarted our openfire server and all was well with that action.
however, 2 web servers, one running an older centos and the other running
gentoo64 with openrc/baselayout2 both lost any network communication. ips
showed present on the host but were unusable even from the host.
the ip blocks of the various guests and the host use 3 networks on the same
nic.

i restarted each of those affected servers. when they stopped each gave this
error:

RTNETLINK answers: Cannot assign requested address
RTNETLINK answers: Cannot assign requested address

it appears it gave one line for every ip assigned to the guest.

restarting those 2 vservers cured the problem. these are the only two affected
out of the others living on that host.

i dont think this has anything to do with it but the centos guest was moved to
this server by simply tarring its /vservers and /etc/vservers entries. the
openfire and gentoo guests were created and configured on this host.
no ip addresses clash.

the host is running gentoo64 baselayout1 with

kernel 2.6.22-vs2.3.0.34-gentoo
util-vserver 0.30.215
iproute2 version 2.6.22.20070710

i am planning on updating the kernel to 2.6.26-vs2.3.0.35.6-gentoo and
baselayout2/openrc but it is on my 'when i get to it' priority list.

anyone seen this behavior of stopping a guest and it affecting networking on
other guests before? this is new behavior to me.

--

Chuck