Subject: Re: [vserver] libusb / using usb-devices inside a vserver
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 17:58:13 +0100

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:40:28PM +0100, Wilhelm Meier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there was a discussion about using usb inside a vserver:
>
> http://www.paul.sladen.org/vserver/archives/200610/0061.html
>
> but I didn't find the solution to this problem.
>
> I'm facing the same problems as in the mail above.

well, then you probably should do the same as
was suggested in the thread you are referrring
to :)

> Are there any hints to this?

basically device stuff (that includes scanning
and printing) is (should be) done via so called
device nodes which reside in /dev/ (but they are
not required to live in /dev :), and thus, copying
over those device nodes to the guest (preferably
to the /dev dir) will give you access to that
specific device (or group of devices)

no idea why usbfs is needed, but I do not see a
particular problem in _having_ a virtual filesystem
mounted inside the guest (might need a few tweaks
to make /proc/bus/usb visible inside a guest so
that the mount is visible too)

HTH,
Herbert