Subject: Re: [vserver] Vserver 2.2 patch for 2.6.25.x or newer?
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 00:13:47 +0100

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 04:18:58PM +1100, Robert Davidson wrote:
> Daniel Hokka Zakrisson wrote:
> > Robert Davidson wrote:
> >
> >> Ultimately I'd like to get a vs2.2 series patch against
> >> 2.6.25.19, or any other kernel in the 2.6.25 series.
> >> Is there any chance of that?

not really, because contrary to mainline kernel, stable
for Linux-VServer means really well tested, and the
kernels after 2.6.22 introduced quite a number of de-
stabilizing changes, so that the code used in vs2.2
simply doesn't work anymore ... and the new code used
for later kernels just isn't 'stable' yet ...

so it's quite simple: you want stable, go for 2.6.22.x
(we are still maintaining those patches to some extent)
you want 2.6.24+ kernels, go for the experimental, and
soon devel patches and help by providing feedback)

> > Why? 2.3 has more features, is actively worked on, and really your only
> > choice if you want a kernel >2.6.22. What is it about 2.2 that you so
> > desperately need?

> The only reason I'd prefer to stay with the 2.2 series of patches is
> because they're considered to be the stable releases as opposed to the
> development or experimental patches, and the server I wish to try a
> newer kernel on is in a commercial production environment.

well, can't have it both, either stable or development :)

> Do you think I should try patch-2.6.27.3-vs2.3.0.35.7.diff from the
> Experimental directory on vserver.13floor.at on a server thats in
> production, or do you have another patch in mind?

the choice is yours, but trust me, there will be no vs2.2
for 2.6.23+, although there will be a vs2.4 in the not
so far future, I guess ...