Subject: Re: [vserver] Hashify and exclude
From: Jim Wight <j.k.wight@ncl.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 15:28:31 +0000

On Sat, 2008-10-25 at 22:30 +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 02:41:58PM +0100, Jim Wight wrote:
> > What is the argument against unifying everything?
>
> on recente kernels (i.e. in the presence of
> CoW Link Breaking), the only case where a
> unified file might not work is when some
> application checks the file properties and
> requires them to have a link count of 1

I didn't know of any then, but I do now. I decided to try unifying
everything by specifying pkgmgmt-ignore and providing an empty exclude
file. A day later I discovered my (Vixie) cron daemons hadn't done
anything for 24 hours. It turns out that cron files,
e.g. /var/spool/cron/root, must have a link count of 1. Fixing that
wasn't enough to get crond working properly, so in the end I scrapped my
vservers and re-created them. I think I'll stick to the (possibly)
modified defaults, now that I've solved the earlier problem I had of not
being able to include /var/qmail/bin by changing /var to

+/var/qmail
+/var/qmail/bin
+/var/qmail/bin/*
/var/qmail/*